Archbishop’s Christmas Appeal to support parishes near and far
Jesus’ birth is a gift of love seeking to embrace all people in their need. It is a gift we celebrate and are called to share.
We are again being called to support the needs of our neighbours through the Archbishop’s Christmas Appeal collections during Christmas mass celebrations across the Archdiocese.
Through our generosity and shared concern for others, contributions towards helping the rural parish of St Joseph’s, Battambang in Cambodia provide improved and extended education opportunities to students.
These contributions last beyond their infant years to primary, secondary and tertiary levels whilst also seeking to improve the self-sufficiency of the parish and their community is envisaged.
Much needed support will also go to the Diocese of Broome in Western Australia to further their presence and work across many isolated and remote communities as well as to our near neighbour, the Diocese of Wilcannia Forbes, facing similar issues.
Continued support will be given to:
- the National Council of Churches’ Christmas Bowl Appeal to assist in bringing hope and opportunity to those in need in Vanuatu, Myanmar, Zimbabwe, Syria and Pakistan;
- student assistance for those in need at Bethlehem University in the Holy Land where the University is endeavouring to train future leaders within a Catholic education environment;
- projects within the Diocese of Otukpo, Nigeria in Africa and within the La Salette Matha Province in India focused on helping the poor.
Last year, the Archbishop’s Christmas Appeal raised $67,883. Of this:
- $10,000 went to the Diocese of Otukpo, Nigeria,
- $10,000 to the Tagbilaran Diocesan Seminary in Cebu, Philippines for ongoing typhoon recovery work;
- $15,607 supported pastoral initiatives in our neighbouring Wilcannia Forbes Diocese and a further $5,000 to the Wilcannia Hub project assisting young indigenous families;
- $12,276 towards the provision of a school bus to transport young children to school from poor surrounding villages through the La Salette Matha Province in India; $5,000 to Bethlehem University in the Holy Land for student assistance to those in need; and
- $10,000 to the National Council of Churches in Australia’s (NCCA’s) Christmas Bowl Appeal, to assist their Act for Peace projects.
To assist with the appeal, please send to:
Archbishop’s Christmas Appeal
Attn: Deacon Joe Blackwell
GPO BOX 3089, Canberra ACT 2601
Enquiries: Deacon Joe Blackwell Tel. 0407 909 295