Dignity and justice at the heart of new CSSA election statement
Catholic Social Services Australia has just published its Federal Election Statement.
The statement includes a number of key proposals for an incoming government, including the following.
- Provide low-income and vulnerable families access to adequate income and social services when and where they need them
- A full employment economy through the establishment of a Job Guarantee Program;
- Supporting the empowerment and self-determination of our First Nation peoples by working collaboratively and in genuine, formal partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in progressing constitutional recognition;
- Resettling all remaining refugees on Manus Island and Nauru in Australia; and
- Establishing a Charter for the Common Good to enhance cooperation between government, business and civil society in delivering a more inclusive economy and society.
The statement submits that “maintaining the inherent dignity of individuals and families must be the bedrock of our social and economic policies and of the highest policy priority for the government.
Catholic Social Services Australia (CSSA) urges citizens to use their vote to create a mandate for politicians who are committed to equitable and just social and economic policies that will improve the lives of the vulnerable and protect the dignity of all Australians.
Source: Catholic Social Services Australia