Final Mass at the Binya Catholic Church
It’s seen better days, and it’s seen worse days, but on Sunday April 28 the Catholic Church at Binya saw its final day as a Church.
The Old Church has gone through a few changes over the years.
Following the big gale which demolished the existing wooden Church in 1954, (which had been transported from Kildary in 1951) fundraising began to replace the Church with a new brick building.
During this time Mass was held at the Binya Hall, along with midnight Mass and Missions. The newly built Church was officially Opened and Blessed on September 22, 1957, by The Most Reverend E.M. O’Brien, Archbishop of Canberra /Goulburn.
Parish Priest at the time was Father J Downey. Many families donated the pews and statues in the Church.
A 50th anniversary celebration was held September 22 2007, attended by many from near and far.
Due to circumstances, a decision was made to sell the Church in the hope that someone would keep it in good repair as well as get some good use out of the building.
Following the successful sale to an interested buyer, a final Mass was held on Sunday 28th April 2019 to finalise the history of the Binya Catholic Church.
Father Tony Percy of Canberra, well known in this area and beyond, officiated at the Mass.
Many memories were shared during the morning with comment from one about how well behaved were the many Conlan children of the 60’s era, but Eileen Conlan indicated that there may have been a bit of ear twitching going on !
A full Church of former parishioners travelled from Young, Temora, Griffith, Yenda and around Binya .