Petition to the Chief Minister of the ACT
To the Chief Minister of the ACT,
The Catholic Community in the ACT wishes to thank you for your leadership during the COVID-19 crisis.
The Catholic Community has and will continue to cooperate fully with the ACT Government in combatting COVID-19.
That the Catholic Community be permitted to conduct religious services with no more than 50 persons from 11.59pm Friday 19 June 2020.
- Our Churches are large public buildings that can easily comply with the 1 per 4sqm rule and satisfy hygiene requirements.
- This is consistent with 50 people allowed for funeral services from 11.59pm Friday May 29 2020 (Canberra’s Recovery Plan).
- This is consistent with 50 persons allowed for concert venues, theatres, gyms, health clubs, fitness or wellness centres from 11.59pm on Friday 19 June 2020 (Canberra’s Recovery Plan).
- This is consistent with the neighbouring state of NSW which permits 50 persons at religious ceremonies from Monday 1 June 2020.
- As you correctly said, “We must face the reality that, as a Territory within NSW, it would be impossible for the ACT to have different arrangements than those in our surrounding region.” (22nd March 2020)
- That the ACT would move “in concert and in discussion” with NSW. (13th April 2020)
Thank you in expectation,
ACT Catholic Community