Preliminary Bushfires Response
We now have some details of the damage in our parish communities. More information will come in the next 24/48 hours:
- Two parishioners in the parish of Cobargo perished in the fire (which received media coverage).
- Four parishioners in the parish of Cobargo have lost houses.
- Two parishioners in the parish of Moruya have lost houses in the town and surrounds of Bodalla.
- Seven parishioners in the parish and school community of Batemans Bay have lost houses.
- The Church of Our Lady of the Princes Highway, Kiah, in the parish of Pambula has been lost.
- There has been loss of property in the parish of Bega, in the town and surrounds of Bemboka, but numbers are not clear at this stage.
- We are awaiting details from the communities of Jerangle, Batlow and Adelong. If you have additional information, then please communicate.
You will receive communications, too, from the St. Vincent de Paul Society, Catholic Education and CatholicCare. Let’s work together as best we can.
We are grateful to the Diocese of Wagga and the Order of Malta who are going to contribute financially to our relief work.
With every blessing and deep gratitude for people’s evident resilience, concern and practical love,
Father Anthony Percy,
Vicar General, Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn